More than 150 experts from architecture, urban design and other built environment professionals attended the LafargeHolcim Awards competition launch in Paris. The event marked the opening of the USD 2 million competition for projects and visions on sustainable construction. The Awards identify ideas with the highest potential to tackle today’s challenges to increasing urbanization and to improve quality of life.
The launch at Pavillon de l'Arsenal in Paris hosted by Lafarge France included speakers Bénédicte de Bonnechose, CEO of Lafarge France and Edward Schwarz who introduced the Foundation and the Awards competition, and was also attended by LafargeHolcim Board members Bruno Lafont and Bertrand Collomb and Philippe Rizzotti of Philippe Rizzotti Architects (Awards Bronze).
A panel discussion examined “How can building materials be a source of inspiration in achieving greater sustainability in construction?” moderated by Jean-Philippe Hugron, Editor-in-Chief of Courrier de l’Architecte included five previous Awards prize winners:
- Gilles Delalex, Muoto architectes – Public Condenser: Low-cost flexible university building (Awards Silver)
- Noé Basch, ABF-Lab – In-Closure: Public park and interactive wall for urban revival (Acknowledgement prize)
- Grégoire Arthuis, Marc Mimram Architecture – Vertical Restructuring: High-rise tower rehabilitation (Next Generation prize)
- Meriem Chabani, TXKL architecture– Re-Made Fabric: Garment district intervention (Next Generation prize)
- Chamss Doha Oulkadi, BOM architecture – Destroyed City told: Earthquake memorial and archaeological museum (Next Generation prize)
The Awards winners were joined by:
- Alfonso Femia, founder partner, 5+1AA
- Lucie Niney, NeM / Niney et Marca Architectes
- Ludovic Vion, Director at the Parisian development, project ownership and studies company SEMAPA
The panel discussion was a highlight of the event, and included lively interactions that were initiated by questions such as the impact of life-cycle thinking from Bruno Lafont, Co-Chairman of the Board of the Directors of LafargeHolcim.
The LafargeHolcim Awards for Sustainable Construction seeks leading projects of professionals as well as bold ideas from the Next Generation that combine sustainable construction solutions with architectural excellence. Projects and concepts from the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, planning, technology, and civil and materials engineering can be entered online at www.lafargeholcim-awards.org. The competition is open until March 21, 2017.