The LafargeHolcim Awards seeks leading projects of professionals as well as bold ideas from the Next Generation that combine sustainable construction solutions with architectural excellence. The 6th cycle of the international competition is open for entries until February 25, 2020. The Awards offer a total of USD 2 million in prize money and foreground projects and concepts from architecture, engineering, urban planning, materials and construction technology, and related fields.
LafargeHolcim Awards main category
- For exemplary sustainable construction projects at an advanced stage of design from architecture, engineering, urban planning, materials and construction technology, and related fields.
- No age restriction for project authors.
- Project must not have started construction/fabrication before January 1, 2019.
LafargeHolcim Awards Next Generation category
- For visionary design concepts and bold ideas including design studio and research work.
- Authors can be no older than 30 years of age (date of birth later than June 4, 1988).
- Students and young professionals are welcome to enter the Awards main category with projects that have reached an advanced stage of design.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Entry content includes author details, project summary, statements on sustainability, CO2 lifecycle assessment (for main category), 5–10 project images.
- Entry is free.
- No limit to number of projects an individual/team may enter.
- Step-by-step guide to entering the competition explains the process in detail.
- Registration deadline: February 25, 2020 (14:00 hrs UTC/GMT).
- Projects evaluated and awarded across five geographic areas: Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East Africa, and Asia Pacific.
- Independent expert juries from each region and hosted by an internationally renowned technical university evaluate submissions in June/July 2020.
- Evaluation uses LafargeHolcim Foundation’s “target issues” for sustainable construction that cover progress, people, planet, prosperity and place.
- USD 2 million total prize money: USD 330,000 per region including USD 70 000 for Next Generation prizes.
- Winners announced at hand-over events in September/ November 2020.
- Global LafargeHolcim Awards in 2021 of USD 350,000 selected from winning projects of the regional competitions 2020.