For more than seventy years the Universidad Iberoamericana Ciudad de México (IBERO) has participated actively in the social development of Mexico. Founded by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) in 1943 as the Centro Cultural Universitario, the project quickly grew and became the Universidad Iberoamericana ten years later and offered courses in philosophy, chemistry, literature and psychology.
Today, the IBERO is one of eight Jesuit universities in Mexico, one of 31 in Latin America – and part of a network of 220 Jesuit universities worldwide. It is home to more than 11,000 students, and more than 2,000 external teachers, researchers and academic faculty members.
The university moved to its first dedicated campus in southern Mexico City in the 1960s. Following an earthquake in 1979 which almost completely destroyed the buildings, the IBERO remained on the site in temporary buildings. In 1988, the UIA moved to a new campus in the Santa Fe precinct – one of the main business centers of the city.
The IBEROhas been a pioneer in academic innovation, introducing to Mexico undergraduate programs in Business Administration, Communication, Graphic Design, Industrial and Interactive Design, Food Engineering, Psychology, and Human Resources. President of the IBERO, Dr. José Morales Orozco, has been in office since 2004.
The University currently offers 36 undergraduate programs, 23 master degrees, 7 doctoral degrees and one specialization, all of which have been accredited by a national or international institution. In addition it offers more than 250 continuing education courses for individuals, companies and government. The IBERO has 5 campuses: Mexico City (Santa Fe), León, Torreón, Puebla y Tijuana.
The principal campus, Mexico City, encompasses an area of 183,352 m2. The main library, Biblioteca Francisco Xavier Clavijero, holds more than 400,000 books, magazines and journals and is the largest library of a private university in Mexico.
The IBERO was host of the 3rd International Holcim Forum “Re-inventing Construction” held in April 2010.